Saturday, May 28, 2011

The VVIP and the Dreamer

THE VVIP
Author: I’m calling on behalf of my client who would like to publish his manuscript.
Editor: Could you tell me who the writer is and what’s the work about?
Author: I’m afraid I can’t tell you that because my client wish to remain anonymous.
Editor: Why don’t you email me three chapters of the manuscript for me to evaluate then?
Author: Does that mean that you will publish the manuscript?
Editor: No, it means that I will read the three chapters and based on these chapters I will decide whether I wish to read the rest of the manuscript.
Author: You mean you won’t publish it if it’s not good?
Editor: We can’t very well publish something we haven’t read, can we?
Author: But my client is a VVIP*!
Editor: Then I guess we will just have to publish it then, don’t we? No questions asked. After all, we are looking to fill our quota of bad books to publish this year. And people do love bad books here, don’t they?
Author: Huh?
Editor: Duh!

* Very Very Important Person

THE DREAMER
Author: I was asked to call you with regard to getting my manuscript published.
Editor: What’s the manuscript about?
Author: It’s a novel, a historical fiction, and I want you to publish and market it.
Editor: Of course, it all depends on the quality of the writing. If we like it, we will of course like to publish it.
Author: But you must publish it!
Editor: Why don’t you let me take a took at the manuscript first.
Author: You mean you are going to read it!
Editor: I will try, of course. We read all manuscripts before we decide whether we want to publish them.
Author: Are you Christian?
Editor: Yes—but what has that got to do with your manuscript?
Author: Are you a serious or not-so-serious Christian?
Editor: I don’t think I’m able to tell you that. It’s really up to God, you know.
Author: The thing is, I had a dream, and in the dream, God told me to write this novel. I gave up on this manuscript many years ago, and after this dream, I completed it. It’s very important that the manuscript is published because there are lots of Christian elements in the story that I would to share with people.
Editor: What a surprise! I had a dream, too, and in this dream, God told me to reject the manuscript if it is bad!
Author: What? God spoke to you, too!

4 Comments:

Blogger John Ling said...

One shudders to think what the actual quality of the manuscripts were like. =)

Monday, April 11, 2011 5:12:00 PM  
Anonymous Just Me said...

Everyone ought to be given the chance & the necessary feed back.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 6:07:00 AM  
Blogger Chet said...

@Just Me

I think that's what the editor is offering - he asked for sample chapters so he can read and give feedback.

Friday, April 29, 2011 6:41:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Agree with Chet.

Having your book looked at by an editor helps the author, not the other way around.

Thursday, May 05, 2011 7:33:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home