Wednesday, February 15, 2006

WHAT I BOUGHT TODAY ...

FICTION
Written Lives (Canongate, 2006)/ Javier Marías
A collection of portraits of famous writers like Charles Dickens, Oscar Wilde and others.

American Pastoral (Vintage, 1997) / Philip Roth

The Night Watch (Virago, 2006) / Sarah Waters
Another pageturner from the Orange Prize- and Booker Prize-shortlisted author of Fingersmith (2002). Perhaps a very strong contender for the 2006 Booker Prize for Fiction?

NONFICTION
Mark Twain: A Life (Scribner, 2006) / Ron Powers
An enjoyable biography of Mark Twain (1835-1910). First published in the United States by Free Press in 2005.

POETRY
Birthday Letters (Faber & Faber, 1998) / Ted Hughes
Birthday Letters is now one of the biggest-selling poetry collections of all time, with sales climbing towards half a million. One of my all-time favourite poetry collections. The writing here is extraordinary.

3 Comments:

Blogger Eric Forbes said...

Hello Jerry - I think Sabbath's Theater, Philip Roth's 1995 novel, is one of his best works among many. It has some of Roth's most powerful writing. What do you think? And have you read American Pastoral? By the way, I enjoyed your reading your blog.

Friday, February 17, 2006 7:20:00 AM  
Blogger Jacobo said...

Hi, I saw you bought a book by Javier Marías. He is by far my favourite author, though the book you bought is not one of my favourite ones. I recommend you All Souls, A Heart So White or Dark Back of Time. Hope you will enjoy the reading!!

Friday, February 17, 2006 9:31:00 PM  
Blogger Eric Forbes said...

Hello Jacobo - Thanks for the recommendations. I will keep a lookout for those titles you mentioned. Happy reading!

Friday, February 17, 2006 10:10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home