Thursday, December 23, 2004

TOUCHING EARTH
Rani Manicka
Sceptre (2004)

THE HARMONY SILK FACTORY
Tash Aw
Fourth Estate (2005)

The Matriarch of Malaysia is back!

YES, the Matriarch of Malaysia is back. Rani Manicka is back with her sophomore effort, Touching Earth (2004), which is quite a departure from her début novel, The Rice Mother (2002), a sprawling, fragrantly exotic multigenerational Malayan family saga. If you are looking for something different, this may be just the book for you.

With The Rice Mother, Rani Manicka has finally made the international breakthrough for a Malaysian novel that we have been talking about for years. For too long a time have we been grappling with the definition of a Malaysian novel and The Rice Mother has shown us what that is: a Malaysian novel is one that appeals to both Malaysians and foreigners alike. Yes, it is as simple as that.

Another novel by a Malaysian will be making its début in March 2005: Tash Aw's The Harmony Silk Factory (Fourth Estate), a sprawling World War II saga set in Japanese-occupied Malaya. A colourful, gripping story told in lucid, uncluttered prose.

4 Comments:

Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Hi Eric,
Just got to hear about your blog through a "notable source..."
Its enlightening & interesting; I wish you would write more often.
I thought The Banana Leaf Men by Aneeta Sundararaj as the worst book I'd read in my whole life and I'm afraid, shamelessly torment her all the time in my own blog (http://www.suzanabrams.blogspot.com)
I feel she has spoilt the Malaysian writing industry summat!
Also, I thought the second worst book I'd read was Malaysian writer's Shoba Mano's Treacherous Terrains of Love". Both I believe, were self-published to horrifying episodes of stupidity matched with delusions of self-invented fame. susan

Thursday, December 23, 2004 8:34:00 PM  
Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Hello again,
Sorry but
for the last line, make that, "...matched with coordinating delusions of a self-invented fame."
susan

Thursday, December 23, 2004 8:47:00 PM  
Blogger Eric Forbes said...

Hello Susan:

I really appreciate your comments and your nice words. We must appreciate the fact that with The Rice Mother, Rani Manicka has finally made the international breakthrough for a Malaysian novel that we have been talking about for years. I am really glad for her. For too long a time have we been grappling with the definition of a Malaysian novel and The Rice Mother has shown us the way. A Malaysian novel is one that appeals to both Malaysians and foreigners.

Friday, December 24, 2004 1:34:00 AM  
Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Susan day-black,
It's quite funny that even my most honest comment would require counselling.
Oh no, Susan day-black, you'll have to collect your medals for heaven in some other way.
The self-righteous and preachy are not my style.
I'm very happy being the misguided me.
Bye!

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 2:59:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home